Monday, July 11, 2005

 

Home again, home again

Susie Cupcakes back in the ("da") house! I actually spent almost zero time in Cleveland. The only thing I know about Cleveland is an irate woman in a Toby Keith shirt tried to budge ahead in the women's room in the Cleveland airport at about 11:30 on Friday morning. I don't think so, yo. Clearly, it was time to hit the suburbs!

My dad grew up in Perry, Ohio, a pretty little town of about 5,000 people. But they have a monster, $65 million dollar (really) elementary school, junior high, and high school.

This is just a very small part of the high school.

There are three gymnasiums, olympic sized track and pool. The smoke rising out of the nuclear power plant in the background? Might have a li'l bit to do with the fanciest school I've ever seen. I think Perry should put in a bid for the 2016 Olympics.

In between family events, we squeezed in a trip to the James Garfield homeplace in Mentor, Ohio. I lurrve historic sites, and I just listened to Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation audiobook. Poor Garfield was only in office for about 4 months before he was shot. From the museum part of the historic home, it sounds like he was a pretty radical reconstructionist, and would have been a good person to have in office in the 1880s. If you weren't a wealthy white supremacist.

I really do love recreations of historic moments, such as the one above, Garfield being sworn into office. I didn't take a picture of the deathbed recreation. Too creepy, even for me, Susie "Creepy" Cupcakes.

The Garfields seem like my kind of people. Lots of books, kooky furniture, and of course . . .


knitting needles! Speaking of, I finished the Opal socks this weekend.

Want a close-up of the gusset? Mais oui!


These were so much fun to make. I got tracings of my mom's, dad's, and brother's feet so I can make them socks, too.

It was a very busy weekend but I'm glad I went. The cats did miss me, though. So did Mr. Cupcakes. Oh, I'll just call Mr. Cupcakes by his real name from now on. Alex. Alex Cupcakes.

Now it's back to work, but to quote Simon Cowell (don't ever do that, kids), it's not exactly working in a coal mine. It's a lot of fun to read people's mail. Although if I could work in a coal mine with Ewan McGregor, I would totally, totally do that.

And now, here's the gratuitous cat picture of the day: Orangy!

See you tomorrow, my dears.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?