Saturday, August 06, 2005

 

Weekend!

It's only Saturday morning, but the weekend is already in full swing. I stopped by Weaver Street Market on the way home from work on Friday to get a bottle of wine and a loaf of bread. Upon arriving home, I found to my delight a new US Weekly in the mailbox. Who could ask for a more perfect evening?

A nice cold La Croix, a glass of wine, and sloppily edited celebrity gossip. Hooray! The best tidbit is that Uma Thurman was spotted knitting while getting highlights. That is awesome. Ethan Hawke remains a fool.

Last night around 10pm I suddenly felt the urge to bake a cake, so with the assistance of the food processor, whipped up a pretty quick carrot cake.

At only 12 hours old it's already half gone. I made it with a recipe from my mom that is truly the most foolproof cake recipe ever. You can tinker with all the amounts, leave things out, add new stuff--and it still comes out nicely. The original recipe called for a lot of oil, and we often substitute applesauce for much of the oil. I didn't have any applesauce, or any apples, so I pureed a nectarine. It is pretty tasty.

In knitting news, the ribby tank is going splendidly. Here it enjoys the morning sun.

And a close-up:

The part on the right that looks like stockinette stitch is actually k3, p1. I love working with the mercerized cotton--its very neat and glossy-looking.

This morning Stef and I went to the Farmer's Market. I bought tomatoes, lemon cucumbers, and two big red bell peppers. For lunch today, I had some tomato slices on the baguette I bought yesterday, along with some goat cheese, basil, salt and pepper, and a little bit of olive oil.

It tastes so summery. I've been reading Under the Tuscan Sun and I love reading about Frances Mayes's visits to her local markets and all the fruits and vegetables and nuts she gathers from her garden. Perhaps someday I, too, will be under the Tuscan sun. For now, I'm under the North Cackalacky sun, which can be pretty nice in its own way.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?