Saturday, May 26, 2007

 

Blankie

My sister has had a blankie for as long as I can remember. It is (well, was) white with a tiny pink flower pattern on it. Now it is a washed-out gray with frayed edges. It was cut up (with surgical precision by Mom) so she could take part of it with her when she studied abroad in London. It is, truly, a great blanket.

But I think it might be lonely. It might need a pal.

I'm working on a wedding blanket for Laura and Anil, using an old Victorian pattern. The color is not accurate here; it's really a deep, winey red.


I wanted something that could be assembled in small pieces, so I didn't have a heavy blanket draped over my lap during steamy Connecticut River valley heat waves.

It is so pretty in Deerfield, with its baby alpaca and silk.

I have decided to make 30 squares, and use Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge to create a botanically-themed edging . . . maybe leaves, maybe floral, maybe just an interesting scallop.

I hope Blankie will make some room on the bed! And I hope I can finish this in fewer than eleventy million years.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Wow, that is going to be so gorgeous! How long did 1 square take?
 
I'm not sure precisely how long each square takes--probably somewhere between 6 and 8 hours. It gets bigger and bigger each round, so the first ones fly by, but the last ones are over 200 stitches!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?