Saturday, August 09, 2008

 

Paris, Day Two

On our first full day of Paris, we woke up early and went for a classic breakfast: cappuccino and croissants.
This cappuccino cost around $7. For all the lovely things about Paris, it is TOO EXPENSIVE. This was the last cappuccino I had, except for one from a machine that cost 1 euro. The spendy one was better, but the ability to afford rent has rewards of its own.

Following breakfast, we bought some fruit at an outdoor market and some cheese at a fromagerie. Fromageries are fabulous. Cheese heaven. Then we set off on a seriously insane day of museum-ing. Notre Dame first:

Even the doors are crazy fancy. Following that we went to the Archaeological Museum, Sainte-Chapelle, the Conciergerie, and the Louvre. Pictures of all of these can be found on Alex's Flickr set (everything I'm using for these Paris blog posts is from that. I took about four pictures on my own camera. It's hard to want to take many photos when your hubs does them so much better.)

Sainte-Chapelle is near Notre Dame but much smaller. The stained glass windows are incredibly beautiful and ornate.

After all those museums, we were pretty tired. Luckily, the Parisian government has created this genius faux beach called Paris Plage on the right bank of the Seine. They have everything from misting sprinklers to run under to mini-golf to petanque games to a swimming pool. It runs for several kilometers and it's totally FREE.

I hope to see a Middletown Plage on the banks of the Connecticut River soon, although it would probably be difficult to work around the various industrial waste that washes up on shore. Ah, my sweet homeland.

Anyhoo, we also stopped for lunch at a cafe, where I ordered a most unusual gazpacho.

What I thought was some type of dumpling turned out to be a foamy balsamic vinegar sorbet ball floating in the soup. I don't even know how you would make that, but it was pretty tasty.

That evening (after a restful afternoon nap of three hours), we went out for dinner at an Italian restaurant and had some really good pizza and tiramisu for dessert.

It had a lovely little caramelized sugar "veil" on top. Pretty pretty pretty!

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
I love these posts - keep 'em coming. J'aime beaucoup de Paris.
 
I can't wait for day three!!! If the doors were so tiny in your apt . . . were the ceilings low too? The bed to short? The chairs in miniature? So interesting!!!
 
Miniature!! C'est magnifique. Ste Chapelle is so so amazing. I can't wait to hear what else you did. Welcome home! (Sorry our croissants suck.)
 
BTW, I am *dying* at Dr's photos of the art nouveau section of Musee d'Orsay. Sigh. Definitely one of my happy places.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?